A Brief History of MSS
originally known as Holy Spirit School for girls, was founded by the Maryknoll
Sisters. The school opened on 10th January 1927 at Robinson Road with only
8 classes of students sharing 4 tiny classrooms. In 1930, the school moved
to the building at 140 Caine Road which provided 7 classrooms. By 1941,
it offered a complete course of studies leading to matriculation. The school
was closed during the war. It re-opened as Maryknoll School in 1948.
As the school continued to expand, a school building with improved facilities became necessary. In October 1957, the school moved to its present location in Happy Valley and was renamed Maryknoll Sisters?School. Initially, the building housed both Secondary and Primary Sections. It was not until 1961 that the Primary School occupied the premise at Tai Hang Road. During the school year 1978-79, after 52 years of devoted service, the Maryknoll Sisters handed over the sponsorship of the school to the Columban Sisters.
As of September 1983, the name of the school was changed to Marymount Secondary School and Marymount Primary School respectively. By 1993, to meet the needs of increasing student population in the Secondary School, the Columban Sisters turned over to the use of the school the remaining convent area on the fourth floor.
In 1996, the Columban Sisters initiated the transfer of
the sponsorship of the school to the Christian Life
The Secondary School operated up to 29 classes with over 1000 students until 1998, offering arts, science and social disciplines up to Form 7. With the restructuring of the school, the total number of classes will be at 26 by the year 2003. The Primary School operates 24 classes and has about 900 students.